Out With the Old, In With the New!
Fresh Home Improvement Ideas
Your home is your castle, the place where you feel the most comfortable. However, as we grow, our home needs to adapt and grow with us to stay comfortable. . Changing it up with a few practical improvements can make your life easier, and help you out in the end should you choose to move.
Once you’re ready to make a change, it’s time to decide where you want to focus your energy. Everyone has a home improvement project that they’ve been putting off for longer than they’d care to admit so check out the options below and see what might be right for you!
Remodeling your bathroom doesn’t have to be a major ordeal; it can be accomplished with just a few minor improvements! A few minor fixes can make you much more comfortable in your home and you’re likely to see more than a full return on your investment at resale. Here’s just a few of your options:
- Replace old shower doors and add a snazzy new showerhead. Did you know that Kohlor makes a showerhead with a speaker and Bluetooth? Check it out!
- Pick a fresh paint color and remove old wall decor or coverings
- Re-grout your tile
- Re-caulk your tub
- Replace your old tub
- This option is a little pricier than others, so if you’d rather start small re-glazing will give it a like-new feel and only costs a few hundred dollars
Updating an old kitchen can make your home feel like a completely new house. Giving one of the most used rooms in your house a cosmetic update can modernize; improve your home, and your investment. While doing everything we recommend might add up, picking a few items from the list below will help make your kitchen feel fresh and new without breaking the bank.
- Reface old cabinets and drawers
- New faucet and/or sink (Purchase these as a package to get a deal)
- New cook top and/or stove
- Change window molding
- New window treatments or none at all will add space and brighten up the room!
- Add recessed lights down the center of your kitchen to light counters
- Change old lighting fixtures
If you have the budget, updating your countertop and flooring is also an excellent idea! Redoing old laminate floors will make them more resilient and changing old tile or changing to tile can add sophistication. Stone countertops and smooth glass are trendy options for kitchens now, so if you’re planning to resell your home soon it’s smart to look into those options as well.
It might be time to look into replacement windows! You may not recoup all of your investment when selling, but the energy savings, comfort, and ease-of-use are worth it. Our previous blog [http://krystalclearwindows.com/spring-into-savings/] discussed windows and energy efficiency more thoroughly, but a quick summary is included in the list below:
- Update drapes and blinds
- Apply window film
- Add weather-stripping to your windows
- Replace old windows with a more fashionable and more energy-efficient options
Updating old landscaping and adding color gives your home a significant amount of curb appeal. Because of the obvious visual benefits, landscaping will nearly always give you a full return on your investment upon resale. This is also one of the less expensive options for home improvement and you can do a lot of it yourself if you choose!
- Install sod or reseed your lawn
- Plant colorful flowers along your driveway or front walkway
- Trim overgrown shrubs or replace with flowering plants for more color
- Add a simple stone path or walkway
- Add flower boxes or porch plants
Adding a deck or patio is one of your best outdoor improvement options. With it you create outdoor living space for entertaining and will see a great return on your investment should you sell. There are a few more options if you decide to go with a deck such as detached, attached, wrap-around, multi-level. There are a few additional options to consider as well:
- Add an awning
- Add screening
- Build a counter or bar top
- Buy a grill
- Add outdoor dining or patio furniture
If you’re home already has a deck or patio then consider the options listed above for upgrading it!
Updating an old roof or replacing siding isn’t something that you usually think of when considering potential home improvements but it can make a huge difference. It’s a little easier to know when it’s time to replace old siding because you see it every day; cracks or rotting are key indicators. Even if you don’t need to replace your siding, a fresh coat of paint or a good pressure washing can make it feel like new! Knowing when to replace your roof is a little less obvious if only because it’s harder to see! Next time you’re outside, take a look up and check for these signs:
- Curling shingles
- Missing shingles
- Cracked shingles
- Granules of asphalt in the gutter
- Moss- or algae-covered shingles
- Sagging (This may be a sign of more extensive damage, call a pro right away)
Be aware that most roofs only have a lifespan of 20-30 years! If your roof is creeping up in age, you may want to start looking now before it becomes a real problem.
Virginia is home to a variety of home shows! While most aren’t for a few months yet, home shows are a fantastic way to see what’s new, what contractors are offering, get even more ideas, and check out some cool stuff! The list below contains shows coming this fall.
- (September 22-24) Capital Home Show in Chantilly, VA
- (September 23-24) Roanoke Regional Home Builders Association Fall Home Show in Salem, VA
- (October 13-15) Richmond Home Show in Richmond, VA http://richmondhomeshow.com/
- (October 21-22) Fredericksburg Fall Home & Craft Festival in Fredericksburg, VA http://www.fredericksburghomeshow.com/
- (October 21-22) Loudoun & Fairfax County Fall Home Show in Sterling, VA http://www.loudounfairfaxhomeshow.com/
DeZube, Donna. “Top 15 Home Updates”. HGTV. n.d. Web. 23 July 2017. http://www.hgtv.com/design/decorating/clean-and-organize/top-15-home-updates
Taylor, Lisa Hallett. “9 Outdoor Deck Designs, Types and Locations”. the spruce. 17 July 2016. Web. 23 July 2017. https://www.thespruce.com/outdoor-deck-designs-types-and-locations-2736275
n.a. “7 Signs Your House Needs New Siding”. bob villa. N.d. Web. 22 July 2017. https://www.bobvila.com/slideshow/7-signs-your-house-needs-new-siding-49353#.WXjxXIjytEZ
Kaufman, Beth. “8 Warning Signs That Your Roof Is Shot”. Good Housekeeping. 21 Aug 2015. Web. 24 July 2017. http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/renovation/a34020/when-to-replace-your-roof/